- Generously season pork with salt and pepper.
- In a large dutch oven heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat - when hot add 1/2 of the pork and sear well on each side as best as possible. 3-5 minutes per batch, repeat with remaining pork.
- Add the onions and cook for a few minutes more.
- Deglaze pan with apple cider and scape all bits from bottom of pan.
- Add 3 cups chicken broth and continue to cook for 1 hour simmering.
- Now add the remaining ingredients and more broth if necessary. Continue to cook for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are done to your liking and pork is tender. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- If you prefer a thicker stew - make a roux with 2 tablespoons butter and flour, make a paste and whisk into hot stew. Continue to cook until thickened.
- While stew is cooking make apple chutney.
- In a small sauce pan - heat olive oil and sauté shallot and salt, then add apples, cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Deglaze with cider, add allspice and syrup and cook until apples are done.
- Garnish stew with 1-2 tablespoons of chutney.
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.