Pre-heat the oven 400 degrees
- Cook Pasta and set aside.
- Gather your ingredients and have in bowls ready to go before you begin cooking.
- Heat 3 tablespoons butter and 3 tablespoons olive oil on medium heat, add shallot and garlic and pinch of salt and saute’ for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and add mushrooms; stir well to incorporate the shallot/garlic so as not to burn. Stir constantly until juices are released from the mushrooms about 5-8 minutes more so they are slightly soft.
- Put mushrooms in a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan melt 4 tablespoons butter and add 4 tablespoons flour on medium heat stirring and making a rouge, cook for about 3-5 minutes.
- Slowly add warmed milk whisking until all is incorporated. Stir well, then slowly add the 3 cheeses stirring and mixing until you have a nice cheese sauce.
- Turn heat off, add freshly ground nutmeg.
- In a large baking dish approximately 9x12 deep incorporate pasta and cheese sauce, add bacon bits and peas and stir until well mixed. Now sprinkle breadcrumb topping over top of pasta evenly.
- Bake at 400 in the middle of oven for approximately 20 minutes, and then broil for another 3-5 minutes to crisp up topping. Serve immediately.
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.