There are many wonderful spices you can use to make crispy chickpeas. It’s an easy appetizer with so much versatility. You can use common spices like smoked pimenton paprika, curry spice, Aleppo pepper or you can use more exotic spice mixtures like Za’atar (a Middle Eastern spice blend), Dukkah, (an Egyptian spice blend), Herbs de Provence or simply experiment and make up your own blend with your favorite spices and herbs.
2 cans chickpeas - drained, rinsed and dried or 1 cup dried chickpeas - cooked
2 tbsps olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp salt or smoked salt
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare chickpeas - rinse and dry them well with a towel- put them in the towel, close it up and gently shake them. We like to pick out the skins that come off and discard.
- Make spice blend. Toss chickpeas with olive oil and spice blend.
- Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet and place in upper third of oven. Roast 30 minutes or so until they are crispy, turning and shaking every 10 minutes.
- Test for desired crispiness, cook more if needed. They do get a bit more crispy as they sit and cool.
- If using the Za’atar or Dukkah we would recommend adding these spice blends the last 10 minutes of cooking or you can even toss them with the chickpeas right out of the oven. Either way works.
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.