- In a food processor place flour and salt. Pulse once.
- Add butter and pulse 4-6 times until butter is the size of peas.
- Add liquid slowly pulsing 4-6 more times until mixture comes together.
- Remove and wrap in plastic wrap and form into a small disk - refrigerate for 30-45 minutes.
- Take out and let rest 5 minutes before rolling out. Roll out 1-2 inches larger than your pie dish and refrigerate 5-10 minutes before placing on top of chicken mixture.
*You can also use puff pastry or store bought pie crust for the top.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add olive oil and cook red onion, garlic, carrots and fennel with a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook 5 minutes.
- Add green beans, mushrooms, thyme and sweet potato and a bit more olive oil if needed. Continue cooking 5-8 more minutes.
- Add wine to vegetables and deglaze, continue to cook until wine is nearly gone. Place vegetables in a bowl and set aside.
- Make a slurry with 4 tablespoons of soft butter and 4 tablespoons flour - cream together and add to skillet over medium/low heat, cook for 2 minutes until bubbly.
- Whisk in 2 cups stock, continue cooking, add vegetables and chicken and cook until vegetables are al dente and sauce is thickened. Options here to add extra seasoning like 2 teaspoons curry powder. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Pour chicken/vegetable mixture into deep pie dish. (12 in x 2 in deep)
- Take rolled dough out of refrigerator and place on top, fold edges under and crimp with fingers. Brush with egg wash or cream, make 3 slits in top of dough.
- Place on foil lined cookie sheet and place in pre-heated 375 for 40-50 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.